Frequently Asked Questions about the Zyprexa Settlement [PDF Document]
UPDATE (October 25, 2011): The claims deadline has now passed and all claims have either been approved or rejected. The courts are currently in the process of determining the remaining appeals. Once all appeals have been determined, the final amount of the settlement can be calculated which triggers 30 days for the defendants to pay the balance of the settlement funds to the claims administrator. Once the claims administrator receives the settlement funds, they will then be able to process the settlement payments.
UPDATE (June 30, 2010): The Zyprexa settlement has now been approved by the courts in each jurisdiction. The claims deadline is October 28, 2010. It is important that you start preparing your claim well in advance of that deadline as there are records that need to accompany your claim which may still need to be acquired. For further information, please refer to the attached notice, claim form, and press release and/or do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
- Notice of Settlement Approval (long version) [PDF Document]
- Claim form [PDF Document]
- Press Release – June 30, 2010 [PDF Document]
UPDATE (June 11, 2010): We are pleased to announce that the settlement has been approved by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
- Ontario Court Decision re Settlement Approval – June 8, 2010 [PDF Document]
UPDATE (May 21, 2010): We are pleased to announce that a settlement has been reached in this action:
- Settlement Agreement - May 5, 2010 [PDF Document]
The next step is to have the settlement approved by the courts. Settlement approval hearings have been scheduled for Ontario on June 8, 2010, Quebec on June 14, 2010, and British Columbia on June 15, 2010.
- Notice of Settlement Approval Hearings [PDF Document]
Once the settlement has been approved by each of the courts, a further notice will be published which will explain the steps for making a claim.
In December 2004, Siskinds filed a class proceeding against Eli Lilly Canada Inc., and Eli Lilly and Company with respect to Zyprexa. Zyprexa ("olanzapine") is a drug approved for use in Canada to treat schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder. Use of Zyprexa has been linked to increased risk of developing diabetes and other health related problems.
On February 6, 2007, the Honourable Justice Cullity of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice certified this case as a class proceeding. A copy of Justice Culllity's reasons for decision are posted below.
- Notice of Certification [PDF Document]
- Reasons for Decision - Certification Appeal - July 2, 2008 [PDF Document]
- Fresh As Amended Statement of Claim (Amended January 26, 2007) [PDF Document]
- View June 10, 2005 Press Release [PDF Document]
- Reasons for Decision - Certification - February 6, 2007 [PDF Document]
- Lederman J - Reasons - Leave to Appeal - Certification [PDF Document]
- Endorsement - Certification - Court of Appeal - November 21, 2008 [PDF Document]
- Order - Certification - June 6, 2007 [PDF Document]
Siskinds is working with a national class counsel team to ensure the most effective representation possible for the class.
In Ontario, the action is being case managed by The Honourable Mr. Justice Cullity who has established a schedule for the orderly exchange of materials.