Siskinds is one of the largest cross-border firms in Southwestern Ontario. Our team of lawyers, many of whom speak multiple languages, have years of experience ensuring the continued success of our domestic and international clients through expert structuring, negotiation, and the execution of cross-border transactions.
An established full-service business law firm
Business law is one of our longest-running practice areas. Our Canada-U.S. cross-border legal team is comprised of a group of highly-specialized solution-oriented lawyers and attorneys who practice business, technology, privacy, cybersecurity and data governance, intellectual property, and immigration law. The team works closely with its business clients and partners across Canada and the U.S. to provide timely and responsive solutions. Our clients count on us to provide a breadth of expertise ranging from mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, financing, high-profile transactions and litigation, serving the essential needs related to a business's day-to-day operations.
Expanding your business into the United States or Canada
Businesses often face challenges when developing a plan to export or expand to a new foreign market. We provide legal guidance and support to companies operating across the U.S. and Canadian borders to minimize the risks associated with international business transactions.
Canadian businesses seeking to operate in the U.S.
We serve as trusted advisers to businesses expanding into the United States. We structure, negotiate, and execute cross-border transactions, and we provide sophisticated advice on a wide range of cross-border matters, including:
- review compliance with technology, privacy, data exportation and cybersecurity laws
- draft international sales contracts, distribution agreements, and licensing agreements
- secure patent, trademark, and design protection in the United States
- provide counsel on the licensing and sale of IP assets
- with assistance of our licensed U.S. agents, obtain visas and provide supporting documentation for those who need to enter the U.S. as business visitors; assist with work permits for the employees and business owners who need to perform work in the U.S. on full-time or part-time basis.
U.S. businesses seeking to operate in Canada
In Canada, we are renowned for our transactional and litigation work. We advise companies of all sizes seeking to expand into Canada on a wide range of matters, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Commercial litigation
- Commercial real estate
- Multi-level marketing, including direct selling
- Environmental law
- Municipal law
- Privacy, cybersecurity, and data governance
- Technology contracts
- Labour and employment
Providing professional representation to our clients
We represent North American businesses operating in Canada and the U.S. and have the expertise to assist with cross-border compliance. Contact our Canada-U.S. cross-border legal team today to learn how we can help.