Starting up a franchise system is one of the most exciting things you’ll ever do. The “Rule of Thumb” is to have 2 corporate units in operation for a minimum of two years. However, real life is not a theory—it’s messy—and we’ve helped dozens of systems avoid the shoals of franchising and get focused sooner on expanding rapidly and making money.
Not sure where to start? What to do next? Relax. We break it down for you. Growing a franchise system is not an overnight exercise. In fact, it’s a job that never ends; just ask some of our mature franchise systems! So we start with the basics, and grow from there, layer upon layer.
We start out with some of the following services:
- Getting your trademarks registered.
- Incorporating and structuring the corporation(s) that will operate your franchise system.
- Assisting with equity or debt financing to get the capital required to finance your growth.
- Translating your business and financial goals into a coherent set of franchise documentation that achieve your goals and protect your assets and system.
- Considering and discussing with you how to structure your franchise system, including considerations of unit, area and master franchising.
- Crafting all of the necessary disclosure documentation to ensure legal compliance with Canada’s demanding pre-sale disclosure laws.
Advising you on some of the other important start up issues including:
- Employment-related issues.
- Supplier agreements.
- Securitization and collateralization of your assets and those of your franchisees.
- Assisting with marketing and franchisee selection issues.
- Dealing with difficult franchisees, including issues of default and termination.
Don’t pay someone to learn about franchise law. Start with lawyers who know your business and can get you to where you want to go in a fraction of the time and for less money.
View more News & Publications