Ontario’s air standards and ambient air quality criteria (AAQC) have been updated for a series of carcinogens and other toxic substances, including
- 1,3-Butadiene. EBR Registry Number: 010-6214
- Manganese and Manganese Compounds: EBR Registry Number: 010-6253
- Hexavalent Chromium, and Chromium and Chromium Compounds Divalent and Trivalent. EBR Registry Number: 010-6353
- Benzene EBR Registry Number: 010-7186
- Nickel and Nickel Compounds EBR Registry Number: 010-7188
- Uranium and Uranium Compounds. EBR Registry Number: 010-7192
- Dioxins, Furans and Dioxin-like PCBs. EBR Registry Number:010-7193
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH). EBR Registry Number: 010-6213
The AAQCs will be added to the document “Ontario’s Ambient Air Quality Criteria”. AAQCs are most commonly used in environmental assessments, special studies using ambient air monitoring data, and the assessments of general air quality in a community. AAQCs are for assessment purposes and should not be confused with guidelines or standards under O. Reg. 419/05.
In addition, the new annual standards will be incorporated into Schedule 3 (Standards with variable averaging times) of O. Reg. 419/05. These standards will be used to update the MOE’s “Summary of Standards and Guidelines to support Ontario Regulation 419: Air Pollution – Local Air Quality (including Schedule 6 of O. Reg. 419 on Upper Risk Thresholds)” which are used in Emission Summary and Dispersion Modelling (ESDM) reports.