The Federal Skilled Trades (FST) Program is for skilled workers who want to become a permanent resident based on being qualified in a skilled trade.
In order to be eligible to apply, an applicant must have the following to qualify:
- Must have 2 years of full-time work experience (or equivalent part-time experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply (from one of the NOC groups listed by IRCC).
- Must have either an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body.
- Must pass language test with a score of CLB 5 for speaking and listening and CLB 4 for reading and writing – the test must be taken through either IELTS, CELPIP, or TEF.
- Must have proof of funds (meet the minimum required funds for your family size) – unless you are currently working in Canada on a work permit, and have a valid job offer.
- Must meet the general admissibility requirements.