Sign of the times No. 1: Texas Tech University is offering the first U.S. PhD in wind science and engineering.
Sign of the times No. 2: Fate of the world video games predict that global warming will send the world to hell in a hand basket in the next century. It’s based on climate models developed by Myles Allen, who heads the University of Oxford’s climate dynamics group.
Sign of the times No. 3: The US is suing BP for the Gulf oil spill.
The defendants named in the lawsuit include:
• BP Exploration and Production Inc.;
• Anadarko Exploration & Production LP;
• Anadarko Petroleum Corporation;
• MOEX Offshore 2007 LLC;
• Triton Asset Leasing GMBH;
• Transocean Holdings LLC;
• Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc.;
• Transocean Deepwater Inc.; and
• QBE Underwriting Ltd./Lloyd’s Syndicate 1036.
In the complaint, the United States alleges violations of federal safety and operational regulations, including:
• Failure to take necessary precautions to secure the Macondo Well prior to the April 20th explosion;
• Failure to utilize the safest drilling technology to monitor the well’s condition;
• Failure to maintain continuous surveillance of the well; and
• Failure to utilize and maintain equipment and materials that were available and necessary to ensure the safety and protection of personnel, property, natural resources, and the environment.