The handling of wills and estates is an area of law that requires the personal touch. In doing so, we work closely with clients to help develop estate plans that meet each client’s needs, wishes and circumstances.
To provide an orderly transfer of assets, we are able to draw upon the skills of our colleagues in the business law group as well as a network of trusted financial advisors.
We assist with personal planning as well as complex planning that involves business succession and tax minimization. We also work alongside estate trustees (executors) on all aspects of personal planning and estate administration. In addition, we represent individuals in estate litigation, will and estate disputes, guardianships, and Powers of Attorney.
Wills and estates services include:
- Wills (including the preparation of multiple Wills for shareholders in private corporations and complex estate planning)
- Power of Attorney for property
- Power of Attorney for personal care
- Trusts for children, grandchildren and other young beneficiaries
- Life trusts for individuals
- Protective life trusts for individuals with special needs (Henson Trusts)
- Life insurance, RRSP and RRIF beneficiary issues
- Joint property issues
- RESP issues
- Estate administration tax (probate fees) minimization
- Application for Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee (probate)
- Preparation of Estate Accounts
- Formal Passing of Accounts
- Act as Estate Trustee During/Pending Litigation