519 672 2121
Close mobile menu

Siskinds’ immigration law group will provide you with legal advice on whether you need to apply for a study permit to study in Canada. Whether you need a study permit depends on the type of studies and the length of the study program. If you require a study permit to study in Canada, we will complete an assessment to make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria to apply for a study permit. If you are eligible, we can help you with your study permit application. We can assist you at any stage of your study permit application starting with an eligibility assessment through the preparation of application and submission to government authorities.

Study Permits

A study permit is required for foreign nationals wishing to study at a Canadian educational institution in a program that is 6 months or longer. The applicant must first be accepted and enrolled at a Canadian designated learning institution (DLI) before they can apply. You must apply for a study permit at a Canadian visa office outside of Canada prior to coming to Canada. If you are already in Canada, we can advise you whether you are eligible to apply for a study permit within Canada. Study permit applicants will be assessed on a number of other factors (such as funds available for your tuition fees and living expenses in Canada, ties to your home country, general admissibility requirements). 

If someone wishes to study in Canada as a mature student, one important consideration is to ensure that the education program in Canada that you choose is consistent with your past studies or work experience. In most cases, a study permit also allows you to work on campus, or off-campus on a part-time basis during your studies.  In addition, depending on the length of your course, you may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). Siskinds’ immigration law group will answer your questions about the PGWP application process.

Extension of Study Permits and Implied Status

A study permit is usually issued for the length of your study program (or until your passport expires, whichever comes first). Study permits may be extended from within Canada for an additional time period. The permit validity cannot be issued beyond the expiry date of the passport. If your study permit has been issued for a lesser period due to the expiration of your passport, contact us to assist you with the study permit renewal.

If you apply to extend your study permit within Canada before it expires you can legally stay in Canada and continue studying until a decision is made on your application.  In this case, you would have ‘implied status’. You should follow the conditions of your expired study permit and not leave Canada until a decision is made on your application.

If you require assistance to extend your study permit, please contact us.

Restoration of Status

If a visitor, worker or student has lost their status (if their permit had expired before they submitted an application to extend their status), they may be able to restore their status if they apply within 90 days of losing status and continue to meet the initial requirements of their stay.

Those awaiting restoration of status may stay in Canada until a decision is made on their application, but those in Canada on work or study permits cannot continue to work or attend school until their status has been restored.

If you have lost your status, contact our immigration group to discuss whether you are eligible to apply for restoration of status.

Our Team

Learn more about Angela Belair.

Angela Belair

Immigration Consultant - Immigration Law
Learn more about Elena Ashford.

Elena Ashford

Associate - Immigration Law