519 672 2121
Close mobile menu

wind-fall-treeMy neighbour came onto my property and cut down my tree. Can I sue?

Yes. Your neighbour is entitled to cut overhanging branches where they cross the property boundary and hang over their yard. However, your neighbor is not entitled, without your permission, to enter into your property, whether on the ground or above, and to cut or otherwise damage or plants. If they do, you may sue them in Small Claims Court for any financial loss you have suffered. You do not need a lawyer for this. However, you will have to prove the financial value of the trees that were damaged or lost.

The maximum claim that each property owner can make in small claims court is now $10,000. This is going up to $25,000 on January 1, 2010. If two people jointly own the property that a trespasser damages, both of them can sue.

Here is a list of Small Claims Court addresses.
Here are the official Guides to Procedures in Small Claims Court.
Here are the Forms. You should begin with 7A.

News & Views


The more you understand, the easier it is to manage well.

View Blog

Privacy pulse: New Ontario OIPC guidance, privilege in data breach investigations and further developments in state privacy law

The Siskinds Privacy, Cyber and Data Governance team is focused on providing businesses and …

What are non-earner benefits?

Non-earner benefits are one of the accident benefits included in a standard automobile insur…