Ontario has amended its greenhouse gas reporting regulation.
The amendments to the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions Reporting Regulation (O. Reg. 452/09) and Guideline were filed in December 2010. ??The amendments simplify the regulation by:
- removing limits on the amount of emissions from the combustion of biomass that can be omitted from a facility’s determination of whether it exceeds the 25,000 tonnes GHG emission reporting threshold; and
- requiring the submission of verification statements by verifiers to facilities only and not to the Director.
To harmonize with other Western Climate Initiative (WCI) jurisdictions, the amendments to the regulation and incorporated guideline also include:
- adding a new GHG (nitrogen trifluoride) to the program;
- providing additional powers for the Director to request historical emission data that facilities have already submitted to the federal government; and
- reflecting changes in quantification methods (in the guideline) to align with changes proposed under the WCI and consistent with U.S. EPA requirements.
Amendments to Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Regulation
(Regulation 452/09 under Environmental Protection Act, R.S.O. 1990)
EBR Registry Number: 011-0209
Thanks to Jessica Yuan.