We advise many of the largest U.S. and foreign franchise systems operating in Canada. Even systems with large in-house legal departments want expert advice from someone “on the ground.” Our advice is timely, economical, and always on the mark. Our communications are concise and to the point.
Taking your Canadian franchise system to the U.S. or global? We are uniquely able to assist you with that. Our group leader is the only recognized Canadian franchise lawyer licensed in the U.S. We’ve assisted many large and small Canadian systems navigate the Byzantine U.S. franchise legal landscape, and to tackle the wider world beyond the U.S.
Our services to inbound systems include:
- Intellectual property protection in Canada.
- Planning and implementing appropriate Canadian corporate structuring.
- Canadianizing franchise documentation.
- Preparation of compliant disclosure materials.
- Compliance with the Investment Canada Act.
- Compliance with the Competition Act.
- Assistance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements.
- Business immigration advice regarding travel, temporary employment, visas, NAFTA and immigration requirements.
Our services to outbound systems include:
- Trademark protection in the target market.
- Planning and implementing the appropriate foreign corporate structure.
- Preparation of the appropriate international documentation, including master franchise and license rights.
- Compliance with any foreign disclosure requirements.
- Registration with state and national regulators.
Wherever you plan to go in the world, we can help you get there with your system intact and functional.